Sovata is a town in Mureş County, central Romania. It is part of the Székely Land region of the historical Transylvania province. The first data about Sovata are from 1578. By 1583 it was already a village.
For 42 years, from 1876 until 1918, the village belonged to the Maros-Torda County of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Due to its salty lakes and warm water it became an increasingly popular health resort during the end of the 19th and the 20th century. It gained the status of town in 1952.
Sovata is situated between the Corund River and the valley of the Târnava Mică River. It can be reached from Târgu-Mureş, Miercurea-Ciuc and Odorheiu Secuiesc on the 13A main road and from Reghin on a connection road. Coordinates: 46°35'37.59"N / 25°4'31.96"E